Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Delicious homemade egg noodles

The third best reason to keep chickens besides the wonderful eggs and homegrown meat, is homemade egg noodles!  Every once in a while I will find myself with an abundance of eggs, and when that happens I break out my Atlas 180 pasta machine and whip up some noodle dough. 

There are many fresh pasta recipes out there, but the one I use was found in the book Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla Emery.  It uses lots of eggs and the dough freezes well.   Before I will pack the noodles in freezer bags for storage, I do let them dry a bit.  They don't have to dry completely, but the end result is better when they are dry enough to the touch that they don't stick to your hands.  Since we live in the desert, there is generally plenty of dust in the air.  And besides the dust, fly season is in full swing right now.  So, I lay out a few flat, unbleached cloth diapers for the noodles to rest on as well as another flat diaper to cover them up, protecting the noodles from flies and from getting coated with dust as they dry.  I have purchased my flat diapers from Little Lions, but there are other online diaper stores to find them.  Just stay away from the Gerber ones, they really are worthless.  In my opinion, the old-fashioned, flat, unbleached cloth diapers are among the best accessories to use in the kitchen.


No comments:

Post a Comment